Last Updated: August 22, 2023
Personal Information We Collect
We may collect a variety of personal information from or about you or your devices from various sources, as described below.
A. Personal Information You Provide to Us
Communications. If you contact us directly, we may receive personal information about you. For example, when you contact us for more information about Matterworks, we may receive your name, email address, company name, the contents of a message or attachments that you may send to us, and other information you choose to provide. If you download our content, then we will collect your name, email address, company name, the contents of a message or attachments that you may send to us, and other information you choose to provide.
Careers. If you decide that you wish to apply for a job with us, you may submit your contact information, resume, and other information pertaining to your candidacy online. We will collect the information you choose to provide on your resume, such as your education and employment experience.
B. Personal Information We Collect When You Use Our Website
Location Information. When you use our Website, we infer your general location information, for example, by using your internet protocol (IP) address.
Device Information. We receive information about the device and software you use to access our Website, including IP address, web browser type, and operating system version.
Usage Information. To help us understand how you use our Website and to help us improve it, we automatically receive information about your interactions with our Website like the pages or other content you view and the dates and times of your visits.
- Necessary Cookies. These Cookies are necessary for the Website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in, or filling in forms. Learn more about necessary Cookies.
- Analytics Cookies. These Cookies help us to understand how visitors engage with the Website. We may use a set of Cookies to collect information and report site usage statistics. In addition to reporting site usage statistics, data collected may also be used, together with some of the advertising Cookies described, to help show more relevant ads across the web and to measure interactions with the ads we show. Learn more about analytics Cookies.
- Functionality Cookies. We use a set of Cookies that are optional for the Website to function. They are usually only set in response to information provided to the Website to personalize and optimize your experience as well as remember your chat history. Learn more about functionality Cookies.
Please review your web browser’s “Help” file to learn how you may modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete or choose not to accept cookies from our Website, you may not be able to utilize the features of our Website to their fullest potential.
How We Use the Personal Information We Collect
We use the personal information we collect:
- To provide, maintain, improve, and enhance our Website;
- To understand and analyze how you use our Website and develop new products, services, features, and functionality;
- To communicate with you, provide you with updates and other information relating to our Website, provide information that you request, respond to comments and questions, and otherwise provide customer support;
- For marketing and advertising purposes, such as developing and providing promotional and advertising materials that may be relevant, valuable, or otherwise of interest to you;
- To generate deidentified or aggregated data for any lawful purpose;
- To find and prevent fraud and abuse, and respond to trust and safety issues that may arise;
- For other purposes for which we provide notice at the time the personal information is collected.
Legal Bases for Processing European Personal Information
If you are located in the European Economic Area or the United Kingdom, we only process your personal information when we have a valid “legal basis,” including as set forth below.
- Consent. Contractual Necessity. We may process your personal information where required to provide you with our Website. For example, we may need to process your personal information to respond to your inquiries or requests.
- Consent. Compliance with a Legal Obligation. We may process your personal information where we have a legal obligation to do so. For example, we may process your personal information to comply with tax, labor and accounting obligations.
- Consent. Legitimate Interests. We may process your personal information where we or a third party have a legitimate interest in processing your personal information. Specifically, we have a legitimate interest in using your personal information for product development and internal analytics purposes, and otherwise to improve the safety, security, and performance of our Website. We only rely on our or a third party’s legitimate interests to process your personal information when these interests are not overridden by your rights and interests.
How We Disclose the Personal Information We Collect
Vendors and Service Providers. We may disclose any information we receive to vendors and service providers retained in connection with the provision of our Website.
Analytics Partners. We use analytics services such as Google Analytics and HubSpot analytics to collect and process certain analytics data. These services may also collect information about your use of other websites, apps, and online resources. You can learn more about Google’s practices by visiting https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/ and HubSpot’s practices by visiting https://legal.hubspot.com/privacy-policy.
As Required by Law and Similar Disclosures. We may access, preserve, and disclose your personal information if we believe doing so is required or appropriate to: (a) comply with law enforcement requests and legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (b) respond to your requests; or (c) protect your, our, or others’ rights, property, or safety. For the avoidance of doubt, the disclosure of your personal information may occur if you post any objectionable content on or through our Website.
Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers. We may transfer or disclose your personal information to service providers, advisors, potential transactional partners, or other third parties in connection with the consideration, negotiation, or completion of a corporate transaction in which we are acquired by or merged with another company, or we sell, liquidate, or transfer all or a portion of our assets.
Consent. We may also disclose personal information from or about you or your devices with your permission.
Marketing Emails. You can unsubscribe from our promotional emails via the link provided in the emails. Even if you opt out of receiving promotional messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative messages from us.
Your European Privacy Rights. If you are located in the EEA or the UK, you have additional rights described below.
- You may request access to the personal information we maintain about you, update and correct inaccuracies in your personal information, restrict or object to the processing of your personal information, have your personal information anonymized or deleted, as appropriate, or exercise your right to data portability to easily transfer your personal information to another company. In addition, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, including in your country of residence, place of work or where an incident took place.
- You may withdraw any consent you previously provided to us regarding the processing of your personal information at any time and free of charge. We will apply your preferences going forward and this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before you withdrew your consent.
Do Not Track. There is no accepted standard on how to respond to Do Not Track signals, and we do not respond to such signals.
We take measures to delete your personal information or keep it in a form that does not permit identifying you when this personal information is no longer necessary for the purposes for which we process it, unless we are required by law to keep this personal information for a longer period. When we process personal information for our own purposes, we determine the retention period taking into account various criteria, such as the type of services provided to you, the nature and length of our relationship with you, possible re-enrollment with our Website, the impact on our Website if we delete some information from or about you, and mandatory retention periods provided by law and the statute of limitations.
We make reasonable efforts to protect your personal information by using physical and electronic safeguards designed to improve the security of the personal information we maintain. However, because no electronic transmission or storage of information can be entirely secure, we can make no guarantees as to the security or privacy of your personal information.
Our Website is hosted in the United States (“U.S.”) and intended for visitors located within the U.S. If you choose to use our Website from the EEA, the UK, or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your personal information outside of those regions to the U.S. for storage and processing. We may transfer personal information from the EEA or the UK to the U.S. and other third countries based on European Commission-approved or UK Government-approved Standard Contractual Clauses, or otherwise in accordance with applicable data protection laws. We may also transfer your personal information from the U.S. to other countries or regions in connection with storage and processing of data, fulfilling your requests, and operating our Website. By providing any information, including personal information, on or through our Website, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about our processing activities, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
444 Somerville Ave.
Somerville, MA 02143